Church History

 

On May 26, 1732, Cutchogue residents raised the timbers for a meeting house here at the apex of the village.  For nearly a century this house stood as the only place of worship between Mattituck and Southold. Known as the Cutchogue Church, it would undergo many uses and transformations but always remained at the center of life in the hamlet.

During the Revolutionary War, the Church was used by British troops occupying the area.  On February 22, 1852 one hundred and twenty years from its birth, the structure was demolished and the present sanctuary was erected and dedicated on December 8, 1852. In the same year, the Manse across the street was acquired as the pastor’s residence.

In 1883, the distinctive steeple and a Meneely bell from Troy, New York was added. In 1905, the north end of the Church was extended twenty-four feet. Stained glass windows and a Kilgen pipe organ were incorporated into the sanctuary. Other major renovations included the construction of classrooms in the Fellowship Hall, and in the 1920’s a kitchen was added on the east side to prepare meals at the Church. In 1998, restoration of the steeple was accomplished. 

The Cutchogue Presbyterian Church is registered by the Presbyterian Historical Society in Philadelphia, PA. as an American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site.

 

 

August 21, 2018

Welcome To All !!

 

Summer Sunday service begins at 10 am.  Everyone is invited.

 

 

Check us out on Facebook, too

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

Members Login



Last month August 2018 Next month
S M T W T F S
week 31 1 2 3 4
week 32 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
week 33 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
week 34 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
week 35 26 27 28 29 30 31